Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Strictly Paleo Eating???

Paleo Eating today means we are trying to approximate the diet of our Paleolithic ancestors. The diet we have evolved to eat. There is no question that the fruits and vegetables available to us at our supermarkets are a far cry from the wild fruits and vegetables out ancestors gathered. The fruits are bred larger and sweeter, and the vegetables have been selectively bred for certain traits. For example, red cabbage, green cabbage broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts , Bocchoy, and broccoli rabe were all selectively bred from a wild plant that resembled kale. So unless you gather your veggies and fruits in the forest we are eating selectively bred plants. There are some things you may include in your diet that are not strictly "Paleo Food" that is our ancestors did not eat. For me they are:
  • vinegar in salad dressings and marinades
  • soy sauce or tamari for making jerky
  • Worcestershire sauce for making jerky and marinades
  • teryaki sauce for marinades
  • alcohol on occasion and in cooking
  • hot peppers and paprika for seasoning
  • mustard in salad dressing and as a condiment

1 comment:

  1. I was excited to find your page, after years of yo yo dieting, my husband, a chiropractor, insisted I quit playing that game and start a good fresh way of eating, he started me on the paleo and I have never looked back! I have lost 16 pounds and feel awesome. I am 53 years old, 5'2" and now weigh 122. I also had a liver transplant almost 20 years ago and this way of eating has made me feel so much better.

    ReplyDelete