Sunday, March 22, 2009

Paleo Breakfast

We all grew up with breakfast based on high carb grain based foods, most of them sweet: Pancakes and waffles with syrup, Bagels with cream cheese, Muffins, doughnuts, cold or hot cereal most of the time spiked with sugar. This idea of breakfast choices is engrained in our brains. Eggs are pretty much the only exception.

One of the most common question when switching to the paleo diet is: "Am I stuck eating eggs for breakfast every time?" Followed by the statement. "Eggs are high in cholesterol and fat and that's bad for me".

Well eggs are not bad for you. see the link below:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7882850.stm

I always buy the omega 3 eggs. they are a bit more expensive, but the health benefits are well worth it.

Fat is not bad for you either. More on this later...

You can have a varied breakfast menu with just eggs by changing the cooking styles and the veggies you add to your omelets. experiment and have fun.

There also needs to be a paradigm shift about breakfast. It is just a meal. So on the Paleo Diet you can have lunch or dinner for breakfast. Now the possibilities are endless.

Or you can do what I do. I skip breakfast all together. I am just not hungry when I wake up and I'd rather sleep the extra time away. I do usually have breakfast on the weekends with my family. And it usually consists of sunny side eggs with chicken breakfast sausages from Tader Joe's (all paleo ingredients). In fact these breakfast sausages are pretty much the only "processed" food I eat. They are a bit salty to my taste. more on that later...

No comments:

Post a Comment