Monday, March 9, 2009

Baked Whole striped Bass

Ingredients:
  • 1 whole sea bass, scaled and gutted.
  • 1 bunch of Dill
  • 2 lemons, sliced
  • salt/ pepper
  • Chinese Red Pepper***
  • Oil

Directions:


Rub fish with oil. Season on the inside and outside with salt and peppers. Cut 4 diagonal slits in the fish. Stuff lemon slices in the slits,stuff cavity with dill and lemons by laying the lemons against the skin and the dill in between. oil a pan large enough to hold fish. Lay down a bedding of dill and Lemon on top of that. place fish in pan and Broil in an oven on second to top most rack until skin crisps up, flip fish over and crisp up the other side. reduce heat to 400 and place on middle rack for another 15 min.I picked up a whole striped sea bass at an Asian market. to my dismay it turned out to be Farmed. (there was a metal tag inside the gills) the fish came gutted and scaled, but retained its liver and sperm sack which I fried up in olive oil as as appetizer. ***this is what the Chinese used before peppers were introduced to them. It is called Chinese red pepper corns. which is actually the outer husk of some berry, I think. it has a flowery, pungent flavor that seems to go well with fish. Here is a link about it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sichuan_pepper I bought it at the Asian store for $2. I think it should last me a decade. I do not cook a lot of fish. This was easy and simple and the fish turned out amazing! Crispy skin and moist and tender on the inside. definitely making this again! You can vary the herbs. Many recipes call for rosemary or thyme, onions, Fennel, garlic. the possibilities are endless...

This photo is from a recipe site (my camera crapped out, but it looked pretty much like this)

No comments:

Post a Comment