Wednesday, March 18, 2009

SALAD

Salads are very versatile and perhaps the embodiment of "Healthy Food"

I usually buy a big tub of "field greens" they are my favorite. small, bite size leaves of different colors and bit bitter. Occasionally I buy Romaine lettuce. Iceberg lettuce is not worth considerng: very low nutritional value. With the greens as a base I like to add what ever I have at hand. Adding berries or fruit gives it a great extra something. And I make my own dressing.Its easy, quick and I'm not afraid of the fat. So no "low fat" : high sugar and chemicals for me.





Today's salad included:

Field Greens

carrot

Daikon Radish

Raw turnip

cucumber

Strawberries
Salad Dressing:
  • 1/2 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • 1/4 Cup Balsamic Vinegar
  • 1 tbs Mustard
  • 1 tsp dry oregano
  • 1 tsp dry basil
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper
  • 1/4 tsp salt
I use a pre-measured container which comes with a built in paddle to mix it(my wife bought it at one of those "Pampered Chef" parties for $12. I keep it in the fridge and microwave it for 1 min to melt the oil. the warm dressing is very nice on the salad

No comments:

Post a Comment