Saturday, March 7, 2009

Fryless Chicken Wings

I'm a huge fan of Alton Brown and his Good Eats show on the food network. My wife loves chicken wings and although hot sauce may not be strictly paleo, I think occasionally enjoying chicken wings is all right by me. Here is the recipe that I used.

Ingredients:


  • 12 whole chicken wings
  • 1/4 cup Canola oil***
  • 1 small clove garlic, minced
  • 1/4 cup hot sauce (Franks)
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

Directions:

Place a 6-quart or a tall pot with a steamer basket and 1-inch of water in the bottom, over high heat, cover and bring to a boil. Meanwhile, remove the tips of the wings and discard or save for making stock. Using kitchen shears, or a knife, separate the wings at the joint. Place the wings into a steamer basket, ( I used 3 disposable cake pans that I poked holes in and staked 3 one on top of the other). Cover, reduce the heat to medium and steam for 45min-1hr. If you skip this step, the wings are going to smoke due their high. steaming renders a lot of the fat out and prevents a smoked filled kitchen. Remove the wings from the basket and carefully pat dry. Lay the wings out on a cooling rack set in a half sheet pan lined with paper towels and place in the refrigerator for 1 hour. Preheat the oven to 475 degrees F. Replace the paper towels with parchment paper. Roast on the middle rack of the oven for 20 minutes. Turn the wings over and cook another 20 minutes or until meat is cooked through and the skin is golden brown. While the chicken is roasting, combine oil, minced garlic with hot sauce and salt in a bowl large enough to hold all of the chicken and stir to combine. Remove the wings from the oven and immediately transfer to the bowl and toss with the sauce. Serve warm. The wings stay crispy on the outside and moist and juicy on the inside! my wife and I gobbled them up fast!


***I substituted Canola oil for butter

No comments:

Post a Comment