Tuesday, December 29, 2009

reboot

It's the one year anniversary of my resumption of going on the paleo diet. By May 2009 I had lost almost 30 lb. fealt great and went down 2 pants sizes. Unfortunately, a hernia operation and elbow tendinitis gave me the excuse to stray off the diet completely. Now I'm back to 220 lb., and back to 36 waist size pants that are feeling extremely tight. My office is starting the Biggest Loser weight loss contest. Here I go again!

The rules: avoid the 7 deadly sins of obesity

The 6 deadly food sins:
1. Grains (all grass seeds including corn) white or brown
2. Refined Sugars
3. Legumes
4. Dairy
5. Potatoes (white, Yams, sweet Potato)
6. Processed foods
and
7. Not exercising (especially weight bearing exercise or muscle building exercise)

2 comments:

  1. This is great Alex. I'm trying out Paleo again. I'm not a "newbie" to health conciousness, I lost 15 pounds early last year by just reducing my sodas/juices to one a day, and slightly reducing carb servings. This paleo is a little more strict though.

    I have a few questions to ask that I'm hoping you can shed light on based on your research, experience, and intuition:

    1. How do you account for the good health and physical shape of the italians, french and greeks? They eat a lot of cheese, wine, pastas and bread.

    2. I lift weights, and I'm pretty active. Since starting Paleo, I'm ALWAYS hungry, or I always have the desire to munch something. How do you get around that?

    3. Are fruits like banana, mango, or melon allowed?

    4. Is dairy as bad as grains? I've been unable to drop dairy. The reason is that I'll go nuts if all I eat is leafs and vinegar. So what I'll do is sprinkle some mozarella cheese on egg plants. Have a few bites of brie cheese in the morning. I'm not having the melted stuff from mcdonalds or the sandwich square cheeses though.

    5. How strict are you with artificial ingridients? I try to minimize them, but sometimes if I'm making a smoothie, the grated coconut might have preservatives. I do my best, but sometimes it's very hard to find 100% natural products.

    6. What is your opinion of a cheat day?

    All the best,

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am mansi saxena, I am also a web designer and I like your blog too much the colors and themes are really nice.
    The Paleo diet is the healthiest way you can eat because it is the ONLY nutritional approach that works with your genetics to help you stay lean, strong and energetic!
    Research in biology, biochemistry, Ophthalmology, Dermatology and many other disciplines indicate it is our modern diet, full of refined foods, trans fats and sugar, that is at the root of degenerative diseases such as obesity, cancer, diabetes, heart disease, Parkinson’s, Alzheimer’s, depression and infertility.
    Do visit my blog paleo diet recipes

    ReplyDelete