Saturday, December 20, 2008

In the beginning....


"PROGRESS..."



I stumbled on the Paleo Diet accidentally six years ago as I was channel surfing the radio on my car ride home from work. I had decided to "eat healthy" a month before that. "Eating Healthy" for me at that time was low fat food that was less processed. I was eating a lot of legumes, whole wheat pasta, whole wheat bread and non-fat or low fat dairy. and staying away from the dreaded red meat. I felt awful! I had chronic diarrhea and gas that entire month and could not understand why, after all I was eating healthier!

My revelation came in the form of a radio interview with Lauren Cordain, the author of The Paleo Diet. What he spoke about made a lot of sense. We are evolved to eat a certain diet and for the past 10,000 years we have strayed farther and farther from our natural diet. The next day I bought the book. I also bought Neanderthin by Ray Audette.

I went cold turkey strict Paleo Eating. I did not cheat for 9 months and did not exercise, ate as much as I wanted and my weight was melting off. Then my wife became pregnant and I used it as an excuse to cheat. It started with chocolate and I went down hill from there. Six years later with a few failed attempts to get back on the Paleo Diet I am at my heaviest 220 lbs!

I feel uncomfortable in my clothes and in my skin. I feel bloated and lethargic, My feet hurt when I walk, even my 5 year old son called me fat! I've had enough. Time to change my way of eating and living. Time to eat healthy again, the right way. the way our bodies are evolved to eat.

I hope that this blog will help to keep me on track.

My wife thinks I'm crazy to "start a diet" before the holidays, I figure if I can get thought the Holidays without cheating it will be easier to stick with it going forward.

1 comment:

  1. Have you eaten insects? I think you watch Bizarre Food with Andrew Zimmern, and he LOVES to eat insects. Next time I'm in Chinatown do you want me to buy you a bag of crunchy grasshoppers?

    ReplyDelete